Monday, May 5, 2008

Music To My Heart


Ever have a song get stuck in your head? Sometimes it’s just a part of a song or a little ditty you heard on a television commercial or something, but it plays over and over in your head and won’t leave you alone until you focus your mind elsewhere.

My kids are good at starting me off on “music in my head” sessions. I’ll hear them singing something goofy or random in passing and the next thing I know, I’m humming or singing it. I’ll catch myself and try to think of something else, but before long it’s back with a vengeance until I put something else in my brain, like another song… one I actually like! Yeah, I know you know what I’m talking about here. ;0)

I’ve found that the Lord is really good at that, too. That’s why I’m writing this morning – because I’ve got part of a song stuck in my head that the Lord woke me up with and it won’t leave me alone. Now, the songs the Lord puts in my head don’t drive me insane, but they are persistent and there are only two ways to deal with them.

The obvious way is to put something else in my brain. Getting out of bed and starting my day is generally sufficient to accomplish this, since my brain immediately fills up with all the tasks on my list for the day and how best to tackle them. It is beyond me why I ever want to do this, since that list can drive me insane quicker than my kid’s little ditties!

So I’ve found a better way and it’s quite easy to do actually because the songs from the Lord are songs of worship and praise. Simply put, I embrace them.

It is a joyful thing to wake up with a song from the Lord in your mind. The things in our minds are a reflection of what’s in our hearts. The days I wake up with His songs in my head let me know that my relationship with Him is right, that I am in love with the Lord and He is in love with me.

Of course, He is always in love with me but, if I do not love Him, my heart doesn’t always sing for joy. On those days, the thoughts in my mind are far from worship and praise. They are more like grumbling and complaining about having to wake up. How much better to wake up in love with the Lord!

Psalm 28:7 reads, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.”

I do trust in the Lord and that is why my heart sings. It is a good time in this country for Christian music, too. So many talented artists are able to share their hearts freely through amazing worship and praise songs. Praise the Lord for that.

We have no excuse for not filling our heads with songs that the Lord can place in our hearts for His glory somewhere along the line! If you have no idea what I’m talking about, look for a KLOVE radio station in your area and tune in to some amazing love songs.

Before I end, I’d like to stick my song in your head. It’s part of “I Wait For The Lord” by Jeremy Camp and you can hear this little segment if you go here.

I wait for the Lord
My soul waits
I wait for the Lord

In His word I place my trust
In his word I rest
In His word I place my trust
For I know I must wait

Allow your soul to wait on the Lord today. Your soul is your mind, will, and emotions – willingly fix your thoughts on Him. Get into Scripture and let God’s words fill your soul with a rest you can trust in. It doesn’t come if we busy ourselves with the tasks and routines of life. It comes when we wait on the Lord.

Are you singing the song in your head yet?

Embrace it!

My kids would be proud of me. :0)